Coconut oil has recently been added to the list of new fads. But what do you really know about this amazing oil? Do you know who uses it on the regular or how it can save you from visiting your doctor so often? No? I didn't think so! This week I decided that to kick off our weekly Health Fatcs we would talk a little on Coconut Oil, since it's a product that we all know and love.
1) Its amazing for your hair- Thanks to its moisturizing properties, coconut oil is an amazing natural treatment for the hair and scalp. If your hair is dry or damaged, massage 1-2 tablespoons of oil from roots to tips, wrap the hair in a hot towel and leave it for an hour or so before washing as normal. If your hair tends to frizz, you can also smooth on some coconut oil to tame it.
2) Great 4 Dry Skin- Coconut oil has been shown to work excellently as a topical skin treatment, helping to moisturize, rejuvenate, and potentially prevent wrinkles. Take a small dollop of virgin coconut oil and rub it between the palms to warm it, then work it gently into the skin on the face or body.
3) Be your own dermatologist!!- As well as using coconut oil as a general moisturizer for skin, it can also be used for more specific skin ailments. Coconut oil has anti-fungal, anti-viral and antibacterial properties making it a useful treatment for conditions like eczema, psoriasis and acne.
4) Want whiter teeth? Yes please! -Numerous celebrities such as Gwyneth Paltrow and Kylie Jenner have endorsed coconut oil as a great DIY method of whitening teeth. Gwenyth Paltrow reportedly uses a method called “oil pulling” where you swish around coconut oil in your mouth. This method has been around for many years and is said to minimize bacteria in the mouth.
5) Sick? Here drink this ? - In countries such as Panama, Jamaica, Samoa, and South and Central America, coconut oil is used by locals and traditional healers. It is reported that in these countries, people drink coconut oil to prevent themselves from getting sick and to speed up the recovery process. Sometimes, it is even the first medicine to be given to a patient no matter what the ailment!!
6) Did your doctor let you in on this?- Modern medical science has discovered that coconut oil can actually protect against heart disease, diabetes,cancers, liver and kidney disease, dental decay, dermatitis, and osteoporosis! ?
Now aren't these some pretty eye opening facts about Coconut Oil?! I know I'll be utilizing it way more. Let me know how you use yours?